Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Coronavirus pandemic of 2020 - trends in saving money

Hi! Remember me? I'm Penny.

It's been a minute since I've blogged about saving money. 

But I'm still working on it!

I've been noticing trends happening during these crazy times we are a living in. 

What is going on with our personal finances during quarantine?

I am happy to report we.are.saving.money.

Apparently, we were trying to live frugally, but were not living that way at all!

It wasn't until we were forced to stay inside, not eat out, not buy things, that I really saw the gargantuan impact that allowed us to save so much money...weight...not so much. :) But that's another topic for another day.

A few things I've noticed have that have saved the most money (or moolah as my kids call it):

1. Eating at home.  Duh...I guess I thought we always budgeted for eating out but apparently, we ate out A LOT.  During our time in quarantine we didn't buy food from a restaurant for three months! Now we have started to order take-away once a week. But honestly, we still eat out a lot.

2. Not traveling. Again, duh. We traveled quite a bit. 

3. Free entertainment.  We definitely had our share of date nights/entertainment splurges.  I also realized during the weekend I would "Treat" the kids to quite a few purchases. Movies, museums, random things I don't remember.

4. Clothing. Working from home with the kids out of school, I didn't have to worry to buy anyone anything. Usually I would take advantage of the sales to make sure we all look prim and proper...but not during the 'Rona.

5. Birthday presents. I have a previous post about saving money on birthday presents, but I really noticed it during this time.

Despite these benefits, it is important for me to share with you how grateful I am for healthcare workers, first responders, essential workers, scientists, and everyone trying to help during this time.  Thinking of all the families who lost loved ones...who couldn't be by their side...who couldn't be at their funeral...such a difficult time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Aldi vs. Schnucks - some data

Aldi's vs. Schnucks   My husband and I work full-time. We have two kids and a very busy life. And expenses. Our goal is to find easy ...