Sunday, October 16, 2016

Cloudy with a chance of COFFEE

True confession...I drink a lot of coffee.

I have a Keurig at work and a nespresso machine at home.  Plus I have instant coffee and a french press.

I probably drink about four cups a day.

For me, coffee is more than just about waking up. It's a tiny break filled with memories. It connects me to my family - since they also adore coffee.  Needless to say, not only to I enjoy a good cup of coffee...it is also my way to honor my family.

But...I'm spoiled and the weak coffee that is 'free' at work isn't my preference. Now...because I'm a penny pincher...I'll drink it if I have to...but...I really like my dark coffee.

And...I really like Starbucks...but that's really expensive.

So...any viable alternatives to saving a little bit on my daily (FOUR TIMES DAILY) coffee pod habit?

First, let's examine current spending...so, I spend almost $3 per DAY on coffee...that's slightly higher than a single starbucks cup...but still...add to my lunches out...whoa that's a lot of spending!


  Cost per Cup Current State Current Cost
KCUP $0.66 2 $1.32
NESPRESSO $0.70 2 $1.40
STARBUCKS BREW $2.10 0 $0.00
Total     $2.72

How to reduce cost:
1) Okay so...one obvious idea is to reduce my coffees to 3 instead of 4 and I'd save money and probably have better health. :)

2) Nespresso pods are pretty fixed prices and you can recycle them!...but perhaps I could get cheaper kcups?

Getting cheaper k-cups...so...if it isn't obvious there are several cheaper alternatives...

Costco sells them for about $.55/cup...
Amazon and Bed Bath and Beyond also have special deals...

So if I can get it down to $.44/cup it's not a bad idea to keep drinking...coffee...

Refined mom also has some tips on getting discounted kcups including a subscription service...

Happy savings and cheers to your next cup of coffee!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Aldi vs. Schnucks - some data

Aldi's vs. Schnucks   My husband and I work full-time. We have two kids and a very busy life. And expenses. Our goal is to find easy ...